Thursday 7 April 2022

Limiting Laundry

 You'll remember how many bites it took me to get a grip of the clothes mountain that had accumulated over the years? Well now it's time to maximise some of the outcomes of that massive sort out...

Month 4 - Bite 6

I did put together a group of clothes for wearing to destruction and I'm doing pretty well with those so they are nearly ready to hit the bin. The selection of dresses, t-shirts, socks and underwear is now pretty close to the end of its life. In fact that time will come this week! If the fabric is good enough to use I will, but for most of the items the next few days will see their final wearing. This will not only see more space in my storage, but will also mean that they won't be a burden on the iron at all - just think of all that saved electricity. Today's task is to put these at the ready and to start by disposing of them from today. All of them except one outfit, from underwear to capri pants.



This is just a selection!

We're due to go away next  month. Travelling can be grotty on clothes and yet you still need to wear something comfortable. So the outfit I'm saving will be fine for the day of travel, but it won't be coming home again. No washing of it, no ironing and no carrying it! 


Month 4 - Bite 7

I do have another pile of clothes that have plenty of life left in them, but they no longer fit. The next task is to ring round everyone for a clothes swap party. We've not been able to do this while the restrictions were in place so it's something to look forward to. Organising it should be straightforward. Guests will just need to bring along anything they want to swap and pass on and I'll supply the mirrors, tea, cake and clothes rail. Then we can spend an afternoon or evening selecting new wardrobes from our offerings and anyone who doesn't have spares to swap can always make a donation to charity!

Again, the tip of an iceberg...

                                         

Month 4 - Bite 8

While I was looking at the laundry and wondering how I can trim the costs of it further, it struck me that I'm not being too clever with what I'm wearing. I tend to wait till the laundry box is fairly full then sort it ready for washing. This usually ends up with at least one half load, if not more as there's 30 degree items, whites I don't want to wash with darks, delicates and so on. What if I were to plan and organise what I wear so that there will always be a full load? So, it shouldn't take too much to group my stuff so that I wear mostly 30 degree wash items for a number of days in a row till there's a full load, or make sure I wear mainly whites when I'm doing the bedding, or - well you get the idea... I'm off to group clothes now!

                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment