Wednesday 13 April 2022

Clear Vision

 

For the next couple of bites I'm turning my attention to all those screens and gadgets that seem to have pushed their way into modern life!

Month 4 - Bite 12

When I was working full time and using the mobile and computers constantly I often mis-typed or mis-read information and now and again my fingers didn't seem to command my messages as well as I thought they should. My nieces have multiple examples of texts and messages referring to having a mice holiday or some other such typo and were thinking of saving them for a book which would also include all those occasions where I hadn't noticed the predictive text had taken over with hilarious results...

When this happened a lot I realised that the screens needed attention - my lack of clarity in taps and reading were due to smeary screens in a lot of cases. It's okay when it's between us and creates a laugh, but there are times when the odd wrong tap on the touchscreen can insert the wrong detail, digit or information - don't want that to cost any time or money.

Since I retired I still seem to spend a lot of time online, but I haven't paid as much attention to the condition of the screens as I should. Reading an e-book lately I noticed the print was again getting difficult to read - time for action. So, today it's out with the cleaning materials/lint free cloth and on with the clearing of the screens. Then any mistakes will just be up to me, I guess....



Month 4 - Bite 13

The previous task set me thinking about how often I use my devices. I thought I was charging them rather a lot because the batteries were getting old, but maybe it's because I'm just using them too much.

It's not the purposeful tasks that are using up the energy. It's the mindless checking and rechecking of emails, social media and the such like. I'm therefore adding monitoring my screentime to the joblist with the intention of cutting down on the frequency of accessing the internet. I suppose it got a lot worse with the pandemic - checking data, reports, seeing if family members were ok, that sort of thing. Now there's the current world situation too. I'm not sure these constant referrals to wall to wall news reports are doing me any good so tackling this need to endlessly look at what's going on can only improve my mental health and finances too. Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to cut myself off from what's going on, just to cut down on my far too frequent need to know. 

Going online needs to be purposeful for me from now on.

                                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment