Monday 17 October 2022

Where’s Your Warm Place?

 Back inside now.

Time to consider where it's warmest and comfiest as the weather begins to change. Here's just two ideas about warm places..

Month 10 - Bite 12

Where's your warm place indoors?

For me it's either got to be the bedroom or the garden room. As I can't spend all day in bed to keep warm (!) I'll have to settle on the garden room. Even in the depths of winter all the glass means that any sunshine warms the room and makes it a light and pleasant place to be. As it's also got one of the best views in the place it's got to be my favourite.

It's become one of our most used rooms because it's so comfortable. It does mean that we can be a bit choosy about heating. I'm not saying we turn all the heating off everywhere else, but there is some sense in heating a particular space at certain times of the day while keeping the other rooms cooler and saving on energy costs. Thankfully all the radiators have their own thermostatic regulators so they don't need to be on much more than a frost setting unless there's a reason - going to bed or having a shower tend to prompt them being turned up.

The next job on the list for me is to begin to check what these radiators are turned to each day in order to make the most of the heating we are using.


Month 10 - Bite 13

Now where's your warm place outdoors (well out of the house anyway)?

One of my favourites used to be our local bookshop with its lovely upstairs cafe. Sadly, it's about to close so the hunt is on for another place. Fortunately, there's plenty of coffee shops round here - one of the bonuses of a seaside town needing to provide for holidaymakers!

I know it costs cash to sit and drink (usually chocolate in my case) in a cafe, but often when I'm planning or trying to write something I find moving location away from home and the temptation to 'just' put some washing on or make a phone call or clean the bathroom calls to my best procrastination instincts. Some time in a different 'office space' with hot drinks at the ready seems to solve the work block and I can get on - and the energy costs are all included with my hot chocolate.

The other warm place for me is the library. It's got the added advantage of peace and quiet and books for research - never something to be sniffed at...

So, where's your warm place?






No comments:

Post a Comment