Wednesday 26 October 2022

More finishing off!

 Now I'm on track with the bathroom and kitchen my attention is focussed on all those other projects lying around. 

The feeling of anticipation and excitement when starting a new project is exhilarating, but somehow, if the project stalls or seems bigger than intended it can make the completion a bit of a chore. All those unfinished projects are a weight on the mind (however hard you try to forget or hide them) and on the wallet. After all they've been bought and paid for so they need to be completed or moved on.

This group of bites is a bit of a double whammy bonus. On the one hand there's the projects themselves and on the other they do beckon involvement away from the TV and the electricity that consumes. So, how to get motivated... well one project at a time I guess...

Month 10 - Bite 19

My favourite part of any sort out is when I empty a cupboard, box or bag to rediscover what's in there. This is the first port of call for me then. The craft cupboard and loft are the focus of my new found finishing zeal. They'll both need emptying, sorting and then the specific projects listing. The list can be prioritised - especially with Christmas on the horizon - so that I can tackle each one in order of urgency, breaking up some of the larger ones with quick, nearly finished jobs.

Month 10 - Bite 20

Where to start - simple - books! I've got library books, books on the e-reader, books leant to me by my neighbour and some from my sister too. Again, priority order please! The library books need to come first so they can be returned, then I'll decide on those that I can finish quickly to reduce the pile and immerse myself in them all - starting tonight (well after Only Connect obviously!).

Only the tip of the iceberg here!

Month 10 - Bite 21

There are still one or two home projects lurking so they need bringing into the light. Preparing for these takes a little longer as choosing paint colours, sourcing the right paint or enamel and clearing space for painting take time. Making a decision about whether it's the stool or table that need refreshing has to be the starting point and then it's full steam ahead.


Month 10 - Bite 22

Now for the difficult one - finishing a hobby project. I'm great for starting these and then something always crops up.. shortening curtains, making dolls clothes, cushion covers, finishing a writing brief, having COVID, lots of things so I get diverted. Then once the diversion is over I do the sensible thing... and start another new project!

This needs to STOP I tell myself, but do I listen, well, what do you think?

Anyhow, today's the day to go for it. And the first hobby project to finish is an obvious one for me. I've been putting this off for ages.

A long time ago, further back than even the pandemic gives me an excuse for, we went to Widdiecombe Fair and I got an alpaca fleece to spin. He, himself wasn't sure I was going for a big enough quantity so treated me to a lot, one and a half kilos to be exact. I enjoyed spinning it and that was fine, then came the knitting it up task.

I started with a hat for himself to test out the tension, and as an easy to finish project. Then I took a big breath and started. I have begun the back of a cardigan with this yarn no less than eight times. Each time it's not been a success - the pattern is hidden by the texture of the yearn, it's come up to big, too small, too heavy... and so on.

Finally, I announced to my spinning group that no matter what version 8 was to be the last one. I'm nearly there. The bulk of the knitting and sewing up is done, it's just the edging. I'm putting it off no longer. The cardigan must be finished first, no more prevaricating.. here goes...

I've made myself hang on to this post so that I could add this...

Ta-daa..


It may not look like much to you, but to me it's a huge mountain climbed and my central heating for the winter..

So, what's next?







No comments:

Post a Comment