Monday 17 October 2022

Warming up

So as the night's are drawing in and the bills are going up it's time to look at preserving the heat we've got!

Here's my next few attempts at doing just that...

Month 10 - Bite 3

Having got used to lowering blinds and drawing curtains in the daytime during the hot weather to keep the sun out and the rooms cool, now we'll be doing the same at the other end of the day! By using the sunlight during the daylight hours to heat our home, from now on the blinds and curtains need to be closed as the temperature drops in the evening to keep the warmth in.


Month 10 - Bite 4

We love the flexibility of the internet controlled thermostat and heating system that's been in for a year now, but have got used to switching the heating off when we're out to come into a cosy home. That's not going to happen this winter. As long as the property doesn't get too cold the heating won't get fired until we're in. The inconvenience of keeping outer layers on until we switch the thermostat up and the house warms to a reasonable temperature in minor compared to the savings it'll represent. So from today that's it, no driving back home and turning it all on half an hour from home.

Month 10 - Bite 5

Back to the wardrobe and drawers for me today. It's time to sort out my jumpers and cardigans. I've got some 'nice' ones I wear out and about and some 'comfy' items that are only for indoors. One or two I've spun from pure wool fleece are really warm and I rarely wear them. Why? Because it's always been so easy to turn on the heating and wander around in a t-shirt! This is a habit that's got to go too. Once I've got the woollies sorted today then it's out with the light gear, on with the cosy stuff and no to too much heating.



Month 10 - Bite 6

It takes a lot more energy to heat a room than it does a person so the task in hand to tackle next is the search for our warm-you-up items. Somewhere around this place we've got hot water bottles and oat filled cushions or pads that take little to heat up and keep warm for ages. Once I've tracked them down and double checked they have no leaks (!) they can be employed in the evenings to stave off putting the heating on.

Month 10 - Bite 7

While on the search I need to explore what's in the ottoman in the bedroom. It's a treasure trove of goodies that don't really have a place anywhere else. I'm sure there are some really warm blankets nestling in there so it's time they came out and went on the beds and in the lounge for snuggling into during the colder evenings.

I may even start making some from my wool stash rather like those I made a while ago....



Phew - with all that searching around I'll get quite a bit of heat up from the exercise too.....




No comments:

Post a Comment