Saturday 8 January 2022

A mouthful of bites

 

Good Morning!

Today's mouthful of bites comes as I somehow didn't make it to the keyboard for a couple of days so here's three more progress updates in one (and a small sort of backslide on the financial front, but one I'm sure you'll forgive..)

Month 1 Bite 6

So as we approach the end of my first week I've actually remembered to record my spending and file the financial bits and pieces which are practically all receipts so far.

Following my foray into the inner depths of our food stores it's time for the bathroom. What's the state of the bathroom supplies? Well there's only one way to check out the toiletries.

The easiest way to see everything is to get it all out of its hidey holes - bathroom cabinats, under the sink, drawers, bottom of the wardrobe - wherever it is.  

This is only the tip of the iceberg from one windowsill!


At this time of year the stocks are pretty high - especially as I love getting bath and shower stuff for Christmas.

Now just like the food this needs listing and sorting weeding out any useless mascara, out of date sunscreen whatever. As you can see from the small selection above there's some doubles and spares - all started in this case - they need using first. There's also a stash of freebies and samples in a drawer - time to use those up too once the opened items are gone... that'll release some space and put off the day of having to pay out for more. (The only reason for saving them was to take on holiday - but will I remember them once I finally get to go away? and will my destination merely provide even more? Perhaps the easiest thing will be to same a small container or two and decant fresh items at the time!)

Month 1 Bite 7

While searching my purse to track down a receipt I struggled to close it, mainly because of the bits of plastic inside. On closer inspection many of these weren't in current use and simply getting in the way.

How many cards were there? Not just credit cards, but loyalty cards, discount cards, coffee shop stamp cards.. then there's all the apps and so on loaded onto my phone.  Some serious pruning is needed.



Do I use them all? Are there duplicates (especially where an app has taken over from a physical card)? Do the stores still exist? Some even had duplicates with two or three stamps on each!

Time to collect them all together, including those hiding in the 'in'll be in here somewhere' drawer, coat pockets, the car, bags, gym stuff - wherever they may have nested. They can all go in the financial paperwork box so they all share the same homebase and no longer have to be hunted down.

Now all that's needed in my purse will be those I use regularly - the idea is to use them and, if appropriate, fill them up as I go along to reap the full benefits.

Month 1 Bite 8

Today is the day to consult the diary/phone/calendar/app for information. I think I have a complete list of everyone's birthdays, anniversaries and celebrations that happen on an annual basis, but now's the time to check it out and update it.

Next task will be adding in anything extra that might require a card or present or message - I can come back to planning for these later, but the list needs to be up to date and in month order so I can add any other events as the year progresses.

Finally to find a safe (and memorable) place to keep this information so that it a) doesn't get lost and b) doesn't go unnoticed.

I'll double check anything coming up soon too that needs something bought, made or sent - preparing it now will make life easier than waiting till I'm too close and busy!


Finally that bit of backsliding...

Well, having just typed the above, perhaps it isn't so much backsliding as planning for later in the year, much later.

While I was doing some essential shopping I found these at half price...


Too good to miss out on I thought - fabric ready for next Christmas' presents and decorations... How to use them, well that might have to wait until I've caught up with a few tasks or two - there's a jumper waiting to be sewn up......




No comments:

Post a Comment