Wednesday 5 January 2022

Food, Glorious Food

I thought we had a lot of electrical stuff, but doing yesterday’s task has really shown me how much stuff! When I think of the house I grew up in and how little we plugged in then.. in fact we had an electric fire on the landing and if the washing machine went on while that was on in it blew all the fuses so controlling what was live was pretty crucial. 

I was convinced that I would just look around and then feel that it was fine with everything switched off; but I found a laptop, a tablet and two radios still plugged in and on standby along with a phone charger switched on with no phone being charged... oh yes, and some underfloor heating on too!  Suffice to say they were switches were speedily flicked!

So, Month 1 - Bite 5

Having done the shopping yesterday (and recorded the spend and filed the paperwork) I did stop and look at the state of the fridge, freezer and food cupboards.

While shopping lists are duly made and (largely) stuck to here some items seem to have slipped the net and catapulted themselves into the food stores!

I do remember reading once of someone wanting to shop and spend less when they discovered eleven  types of rice in their cupboards (I’m not sure I could name that many). Anyhow, before I had the chance to get smug I found sugar - lots of it.. this is just some...


In my defence (sort of) it was built up during the lockdown when my husband was baking lots and we stocked up, only to store it in places I forgot to look later - if you get what I mean…

Today, though it would seem timely to ask myself the questions:

  Do you I know what’s in your kitchen cupboards?

   Your fridge?

   Your freezer?

(The obvious answer being no, I guess.)

A good day then to take the time to go through all the food stores and note what’s available. Depending on the time of year it could be quite a bit.

I think you can guess the time of year even without the date on the page by this lot!


As each area is checked what’s hiding there? Anything lurking forgotten (apart from the sugar)? Doublers or spares of foodstuffs? Out of date food that needs to go? Near to expiry ingredients that need using up? High shelves with hard to get at supplies? (No I don’t know what’s on the top shelf.)


Doing this checking and listing exercise might avoid some shopping or limit what goes on the next shopping list. There might be the wherewithal of tonight’s meal or tomorrow’s, well who knows?

As items area replaced it’s time the storage was properly organised with the older, need-to-use-first nearest to the front so they can be easily seen and used rather than forgotten and wasted…..

I’m off to get the steps out to check what’s behind that tin for corned beef!

No comments:

Post a Comment