Thursday 24 November 2022

Giving without spending!

Okay, ready for some more quick catch-ups from my notes?
Here goes, then.

Month 11 - Bite 10

I questioned myself last time about donating stuff I didn't need while buying two for one items. The donation bins at the supermarket were for food so I did have some toiletries on two for one along with some perfectly good items, still in their wrappings from my sort out last month.

I noticed while in town that one of the shops is taking toiletries for their hygiene bank to pass on to those who need them, so no prizes where I'm heading today with my little collection.

Month 11 - Bite 11

The task in hand today is defrosting the freezer and checking my food cupboards. While I know that the freezer stuff can't be passed on, there are some tins and packs in the cupboard that I bought, thinking we'd try them and we didn't! Rather than trek up to the supermarket I'm off to the local community larder that takes surplus food and gives it away to try and stem the food waste that otherwise goes in the bin.

Month 11 - Bite 12

Finding out day next. After volunteering for years it's somehow gone by the wayside a bit so this is a bit of a prompt for me to start again. I could volunteer to help with ParkRun, but as I tend to decide whether I'm going or not on a fairly ad hoc basis that's not really helpful when planning dates. There are, however, other opportunities so I'm going to research a bit more and then dive in.

One easy activity is down at the beach. There's a supply of litter picking equipment by the cafe there so it looks like that'll be first on my list... and a good excuse to walk along the seafront too!



Month 11 - Bite 13

I was scrolling through some of the surveys that I signed up for earlier in the year. Some have been pretty fruitful while others seemed to want loads of time for very little in the way of points. I want to settle down today and go through all the sites I signed up for, check how economic it is in terms of time doing the surveys and then leave those that aren't really worth it. That leaves the question of what to do about the points that I've earned so far. It'll take me a month of Sundays to earn enough points for anything, however I noticed a while back that there are much lower points thresholds for giving to charity.

As I decide which survey sites I'm not going to continue with I can sift through and donate any spare or random points I've accrued. That way I'll have tidied up my inbox and made sure that the charities they support get something too.

Month 11 - Bite 14

As well as signing up for a pile of surveys way back I also started sending for freebies. So far I've only registered for those I'll use or know someone who'll want the items. From today I'm going to start sending for other things that can then be passed on or donated when they arrive.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment