Thursday 3 March 2022

Trimming the Storage.. (and the stored!)

                                                                                            
 I thoroughly enjoyed the trawl through all the books and files on the study shelves and they soon emptied out quite amazingly.

Month 2 - Bite 27

This is the result of the before (well one of the bookcases anyway)


and after... Notice the difference?


Well, once the shelves were much liberated we looked at them carefully. For a small room they were taking up rather a lot of height and making it feel a bit enclosed. New storage on a smaller scale was clearly called for. New storage did I say? Well today's task, which we're both very pleased with was re-purposing the old using brute force (in the lifting stakes) and a saw... A surprisingly short time later the shelves were transformed and re-stacked with the lesser quantity of books and voila! the study also feels much lighter and airier. Instant reward...


Month 2 - Bite 28

You know there's a movement towards mindful pursuits and peaceful creativity? Lots of colouring books and apps are now available for calming the thoughts and destressing. However in sorting out all the pens and pencils I've found a new mindful pastime. Today's task was to check all those items of stationery to see which needed throwing. Boy, trying out all the pens to see if they were dried out or working was soooo therapeutic that I'm thinking of starting off as a new 'thing'. Go on try it....


Month 2 - Bite 29

Now I know that I'm writing this in February and that Bite 28 would be the last of the month if I was 'doing' one a day, but as I've said before I want to be able to revisit this at any time of year so two more bites are needed here!

Did I mention the fact that the bungalow is stacked with DVDs and CDs? No, well when it came to pulling them all out and looking the pile of them was enormous! I'm not sure how many hours (or perhaps years) it would take to watch or listen to them all... There are one or two favourites that have gone off to the car - CDs that is - as that's the only place to listen to them, but I'm pretty sure that most of them will go after one hearing. I did also discover a CD made up of all my favourite tunes so I probably will only need to keep that one and a couple of others. The films on DVD make up two collections - one which I know we'll never watch again having played them once, the other is a much smaller one of old favourites/classics, but having checked I find we can stream them all so there's no need to keep these either. 

The current task then is to find out the best way of getting rid of our surplus ...

Month 2 - Bite 30



Before retirement we both had ICT/Computers as one responsibility on our job descriptions. It's meant that there are loads of computer-y bits and pieces lurking about. I still have some files and programs on floppy disks would you believe? There's also a number of CD Roms with documents and photos on them. Unfortunately there isn't a piece of technology here that will read them! Today will see me ringing round to see if anyone I know has some tech that I can run them through to check what's on the disks before disposing of them one way or another. I'm pretty sure all the information and files are already on sticks or the external disk drive, but you never know!!! Then of course there will be the task of collating all of these into a single, easily accessible library... Could take a while......


No comments:

Post a Comment