Thursday 3 March 2022

Finding out some more...

 Month 2 - Bite 20

After the sort out of the airing cupboard I found out I was right.. Just because I'd reorganised it fairly recently didn't mean I knew exactly what was in there! Among the items were some items of bedding that I've already mentioned are on their way to the loft for a future project. I also found some fairy worn, but still serviceable towels that I'm sure there must be a need for rather than just binning/recycling. There was also a really thick beach towel that looked lovely, but when I looked the edge binding and the towel itself had shrunk at different rates...

It ties in a bit with examining all that sports gear hanging near the front door as there's a towel or two there which get used to protect the car seats from mud (from running), soakings (when diving off the tennis court during rain) and sweat (well sometimes with exercise you have to don't you?). The towels we're currently using aren't that thick or absorbent so it's time for sewing machine action...

The beach towel needs cutting in half and hemming so that it can rise into its new life as two seat covers to be kept in the car!!






Month 2 - Bite 21

Having been busy with all the listing, sorting, decluttering, cleaning and so on now is the time to pause and do some wider finding out about where useful information can be found. I'm no expert so it's time to start consulting some. This won't involve any extra money going out, but does mean I'll have to spend some time online.

Today I'm going to concentrate on researching who takes what! The airing cupboard and coats collection got me thinking. Where can the excess items be best distributed? I mentioned the local library and its donations rail, but who else needs the spares that aren't actually good enough for sale?

On with an internet search to find homes for the growing piles of 'stuff' that I want to clear - towels, coats - you name it - time to find it a home!


Month 2 Bite 22

Bit of shopping needed in the food department. Although I'm pretty good at combining tasks to limit my journeys picking up essentials on the way to and from other locations there's plenty of room for improvement, especially as the weather is improving. So, it's off for a reasonable shop on foot. Of course carrying the booty home requires some thought so that I can actually lift it, let alone walk home with it all intact so time to search out my rucsac to help with the task. 

You never know I might end up fitter too!!



Month 2 - Bite 23

Armed with that list of service details, car insurance renewal dates and so on some research is needed here too. A session with the laptop to read up about deals and to sign up for newsletters that will help. The reliable Mr Martin Lewis is the first stop on my list with moneysavingexpert.com along with moneymagpie. Settling down after that for some reading and note taking to make sure I'm making the best of my necessary expenditure.


Month 2 - Bite 24

Now that list of household tasks and scheduled maintenance.... Firstly it's the day to defrost the freezer. Ours is rather old, but working fine. Having done my manual reading homework I now know that keeping it un-iced up will help with its efficiency so that's what today's task has to be about.


Month 2 - Bite 25

From food to laundry... The manual on the iron was enlightening. I guess I always knew that it due to the time to heat up and cool down there's an efficient order in which to iron, but in an attempt to constantly keep up I'd overlooked the fact that batch ironing, like batch cooking, maximises the use of electricity - just as full loads for the washing machine are better than lots of little ones! Reorganising when I wash and iron should make this both more economical and environmentally friendly too!


Month 2 - Bite 26

The last major bit of investigation before I go into information overload was into the manuals for all the varied rechargeable devices - phone, tablet, toothbrush - you name it I've read about it. Now I know where I've been going wrong with charging all these items. I've got a list of which need charging at a particular point to prolong their battery life and so most of them are no longer subjected to short, sharp bursts of firing up!


Phew....



No comments:

Post a Comment