Thursday 26 May 2022

Get your Magazine Fix

 Month 5 - Bite 22

So, I have this great addiction to reading matter. I can stifle much of it with the local library, book borrowing apps, swapping books with friends and family and then getting books or vouchers towards e-books for birthdays and Christmas, but I still do love a magazine!

I have kept on one subscription for a favourite magazine - reading it is a pleasure I savour and I try not to race through it...

The rest of my cravings I satiate a bit with magazines passed on with the family and swapped at our spinning group so now it's time to investigate other free reading matter. There's the magazines that come with our membership of organisation, the freebies advertising local events and places and finally customers' magazines from supermarkets. They should all help me to eke out my paid for one until the next copy arrives!


Month 5 - Bite 23

Following our recent holiday I've realised that the pandemic, stay-at-home habit has made me rather lazy about visiting places. Today I need to research places close to home that are free entrance. I know the RAMM in Exeter is free so that's a good start. I'll spend some time today searching for other free options nearby and then widen my search so that I've got a nice list for those 'where shall we go?' days.

Month 5 - Bite 24

I know we've got a National Trust membership so we've already 'paid' for visits to those properties (and it comes in handy for accessing free parking when I run at Killerton), and from their information I know that they have particular dates when it's free entry for non-members. I'm wondering what other sites - English Heritage comes to mind - might also have free entry on certain dates - few clicks on the keyboard required to find out more.


Month 5 - Bite 25

When I was little we didn't use much energy. I don't mean the running around sort I mean the kind you have to pay out for. While I wouldn't want to go back to those times of multiple coats on beds (there was no heating in our bedrooms), twice weekly baths (no bathroom so it was a case of filling a tin bath lifted into the back room), walking and bussing everywhere (we didn't have a car),  that sort of thing, I'm sure we're using more energy than we need to so today I'm going to try and use as little electric, gas and petrol energy as possible. It'll be an interesting experiment in mindfulness each time I reach for an easily accessible switch!

Month 5 - Bite 26

And finally in this round up of experimenting and researching it's off to the land of blog and website. One of my favourite go-to reads when I feel the urge to knuckle down on my spending urges is Cait Flanders ''The Year of Less'. This followed her 'Blonde on a Budget' which I've never visited, always promising myself to do so - now's the time to try and track it down. I think she archived it so I'll have to do a little detective work and along the way I intend to allow myself to digress into any other budgeting/finance/cutting back websites and blogs I fancy.

Got any suggestions for some I could try?



No comments:

Post a Comment