Tuesday 24 January 2023

Home Run

 This has got to be the very last word (or words) on the old year...

Just a few more bites to finish it off and I can look towards the next ideas!

So...

Month 12 - Bite 23

The spinning group I go to usually has a Christmas Lunch out. Obviously we couldn't during the restrictions and then when they ended last year we were unsure about crowded restaurants, especially as a number of members are older and more susceptible to bugs, germs and illnesses. We decided to eat in and each bring something alone.

It was such a success that we did the same again this year - here's some of the spread after we'd already started to tuck in!!

Not only did it leave those who act as carers the flexibility to turn up when they could and provision being made for those with specific dietary requirements, but it also allowed us to move around chatting - not necessarily our experience when sat at a long table.

I have a feeling we'll be doing the same again next time round!!




Month 12 - Bite 24

I've just finished wrapping 90 presents! It's not what it seems... The presents were all collected cheaply or free over the year (perfume sample anyone?) or handmade. The wrapping paper was that collected from unwrapping last year. It provided great fun and entertainment during our family get-together without too much cost or waster!


Month 12 - Bite 25

Time for a bit of reflection on the festivities. This year we've all cut back - some of that is to do with the present financial squeeze that everyone is going through, but much of it is because so many of the family were bug stricken so we were a bit more cautious in food buying and so on. Do you know what? We hardly noticed! So a rethink for next year while we still remember what went well and what could be ditched is due.

We've collectively made a note of what got eaten or leftover and what needs to be budgeted in for next year. As a family we'd already decided to cut down on sweets and treats as we always seem to be 'finishing up' well into January and invariably waste some of the leftovers. There was still plenty left so next Christmas we'll cut back a bit more and probably won't notice it even more!!


Month 12 - Bite 26

Planning for next year now while there's a lull in the frantic nature of everyday life. I love a blankpage, a new notebook or a pristine diary so mine's all ready...


First in go all those dates and reminder, appointments and birthdays. I usually pick up a free calendar from some supermarket or another, this year none were around at the same time as I was looking so I've just printed off the twelve months as individual pages using the calendar app on the phone.

Looks like it could be another busy year!


Month 12 - Bite 27

I'm ready to venture out again. Not too much to restock, just one or two essentials and a quick look at the post-Christmas stock clearance. 

I know I've made a number of cards for next year already, but there were some ridiculous reductions (24 cards for 10p anyone?) on these and on wrapping paper too. I have however resisted the urge to splurge on too many mini gifts so that I don't have a storage and cluttering problem before we put our heads together about what next years get-together game will be - lucky dip, tombola, tree presents - decision yest to be made!

Month 12 - Bite 28

Revisiting the budget I set at the beginning of the year is today's task. I've randomly noted spending for some weeks and I've got all the bills for the year. I'm going to settle down with a nice cup of tea, a pencil and paper and some soothing music to see where I kept to my intentions and where things may have gone awry before I go any further.


Month 12 - Bite 29

With all those facts and figures and the dates in the diary for birthdays, occasions and renewals known so far it's time to plan for finances for 2023.

I know there'll be some changes to the family pot - positive ones as I'm due my pension - I never thought of myself as being a pensioner one day!! We're also planning for a holiday or two and there's new pressures round the corner, but overall looking at the finances this year looks like fun.


Month 12 - Bite 30

And finally - never thought I'd type that and mean it!

The last act of this month is to take some time to think and plan generally. The past year has given me plenty of food for thought and some surprises too. The house is clearer and I can see a path for the home budget. More writing looks possible and I'm going to take some time to form a plan for my next projects...

In all a happy new year looks set ahead....

No comments:

Post a Comment