Monday 9 January 2023

And a final round up..

 Happy New Year!

As it happens I haven't quite finished with the old one - yes, even over a week into 2023. Lots happened at the close of 2022 which rather got in the way of me catching up with all the missing posts for the year.

So, this post and the one or two following will need to rely on that notebook of mine and the photos taken at the time to race me back up to speed.

To Month 11 then - here's a random mix of the final Bites for the month.

Month 11 - Bite 23

Having passed on and sold a lot of books and DVDs earlier in the year I've now found a small stash of more. Not enough to warrant posting them off to a buying website I came across this just round the corner from where I live,,,


Sorted!

Month 11 - Bite 24

A friend has decided to raise some money from gifts that she might have received for Christmas and her birthday by asking for cash instead to be donated to her chosen cause.. Great idea - she's using JustGiving, but other sites are out there too.. another idea to consider.

Month 11 - Bite 25

A regular email arrived recently from a charity shop I often drop stuff off to as well as a newsletter from a local charity. Both reminded sponsors/contributors about registering the fact that they are taxpayers when donating. This is a great way of bumping up any donation by a comfortable percentage as an additional amount can be claimed back by the charities concerned. I need to double check I've ticked that box so they don't miss out.

Month 11 - Bite 26

Knitting carries on apace ready for Christmas, but I have had time to add in some extra hats and scarves for the library warm rail so I must find time to drop them down as the temperature plunges.



Month 11 - Bite 27

It's nearly time for the Advent Calendars to make an appearance. Each year my sister's church does a reverse Advent Calendar. Instead of receiving something each day - a chocolate or far more extravagant gifts in some cases (!) - you put an item from a wish list into a box to be delivered before Christmas to make someone festive period a little easier. The list contents range from foodstuffs to essential household items - a tin of soup or a toothbrush for example. It's a really simple way to countdown to Christmas without adding to the more 'grabby' side of it.

Month 11 - Bite 28

One or two of our neighbours live alone and are generally fine, but just recently one has had a long drawn out bug and another a trip to hospital for planned surgery. Time to pop in or message them to make sure they've got the provisions they need or to have a chat to break up their time at home until they are fit and well enough to get back to normal.

Month 11 - Bite 29

While I was in the charity shop the other day I started browsing the Christmas card selection. Many of my cards I make, but when I run out of time (or inspiration) it's the charity versions I turn to. Why not use something I need to get into something that helps others too?!

Month 11 - Bite 30

Planning time now. The festive season is fast approaching and I need to start looking at the gifts I need to buy. Out with that list I made earlier in the year of Christmas card recipients so I know how many I need and a new list for presents to buy is about to be made.

By pooling out thoughts on who wants what we can make sure that the money we spend as a family goes into exactly what's required with no waste or doubling up... We've also still got time to get the requested items before panic buying and lack of time intervene...

Phew! - Sorry about the whistle stop trawl through the notebook, but I'm now only a month short on my blogging target...

No comments:

Post a Comment