Thursday 9 June 2022

Travelling comfortably

 Now I know there are many who will say that travelling comfortably belongs to the rich and celebrated who can afford to have all their home comforts and a staff to carry everything. Especially, you might say with the amount of problems and disruption around at present - we were lucky to have a problem free trip. However, when on the move I do try to limit the discomfort if you like.

The transit bit of travelling when you are carrying your belongings with you, especially if you managed that panacea of only taking carry on stuff can be lightened up by packing wisely and leaving out some of the weighty items that you can acquire along the way.

Month 6 - Bite 7

When packing there are some things I don't like to be without (make up, shower scrunchy, toothbrush, hairbrush, that sort of thing). There are others I don't bother with because they are just as easy to pick up and as cheap to buy while we are away. In addition to that many of the places we've visited supply some toiletries as part of the deal so why lug stuff abroad when you can get it there? Okay, sometimes if you're not sure (a sensible price for deodorant is never a given) taking your own supplies is best, but avoiding things that spill or have to be packed separately in plastic bags to be scanned at security makes life easier.

This is also where those freebies that I was accumulating come in. A small sample of perfume is lighter to transport than a bottle, the free sachets of sun block take up next to no room and so on. Worth stockpiling a few then.


Month 6 - Bite 8

Emergency supplies are another thing. I mentioned my free samples of sun screen, but if I don't have such a freebie I'll usually take a small tube of my own, buying at the airport at silly prices seems unnecessary. Then there are other essentials to consider - paracetamol, for example, is so cheap in this country that it's daft having to go searching for it if I need painkillers while I'm away and would tempt me to paying more than I need - they are packed without the box though... Sting relief and anti histamine tablets are something else I'd rather take with me. I know there are supplies available at the airport, bust a captive audience never guarantees a good price!



Month 6 - Bite 9

Packing wisely sounds like good advice and one day perhaps I'll manage it! I don't do too badly although I still managed to bring home clothes I've not worn as I've taken far too many in the first place. I think I learned a lot about packing when I was still working and having to spend time in hotels. Getting most of my needs into a holdall I soon discovered what were the heavier items and which crease proof dresses were a must. I usually keep a change of underwear and a top as well as comfy shoes in my hand luggage and wear the heaviest outdoor gear and shoes for the journey. That works well for me. 

I tend to roll my clothes and pack out my case corners with small items so that it's all fairly tightly packed. You'd think this would result in very creased clothes, but because they don't move about in the case they seem to travel well and any wrinkles steam out when hung in the bathroom while I'm showering (if only the same could be said for the wrinkles on my skin!).

Why am I going on about weight and travel comfort, when I'm supposed to be thinking about cost cutting? Well, the less I take, the smaller and lighter my case, so the cheaper it is to book in! It's also better for the environment and energy efficiency if we all travel lighter - just imaging what a difference it would make if every passenger on a flight reduced 1kg weight from their portables!

Month 6 - Bite 10

This year I also did something which I keep thinking of doing bu never do. Having sorted out my old clothes I still had some with a small amount of wear in them, although they would never stand a close inspection - just why do t-shirts develop small holes near to the hemline in the front?

I deliberately wore some older clothes that were on their way out, including underwear, that while comfortable, had definitely reached the end of its 'wear by' date. These went out with me, but never made it back! Well, did I mention the extra space I needed to bring back some stuff for our soon to be arriving family?


                                   


No comments:

Post a Comment