Saturday 4 June 2022

A relaxing, crafty end to the month...

I know it's been a long time getting to these final posts for Month 5, but a rather lovely holiday got in the way!

Actually it's provided plenty of new ideas, especially for Month 6, but more of that later.

Firstly it's kick-started something that I've wanted to do for a while that'll give me the topic for the last Bites for the month...

Month 5 - Bite 30

While we were away I spied this great piece of yarn-bombing/installation art at the Rome International Tennis. The crocheted octopus models brandishing their tennis rackets was a fantastic piece of work. 


My Nan taught me to crochet when I was small and I got quite adept at going round and round in circles and then progressed to a large square/rectangle for a bed cover. The edges got a bit out of alignment, but on a big blanket it didn't really matter. 

Over the years I've tried to make small squares, but they always seem to 'lean out' at the corners!


So my final free bite for the month is to spend some time on the internet to find some easy to follow tutorials to improve my skills. 

I don't think I'll get as skilled as the talented Beth from Mind Over Hook (see link for her Etsy shop or visit on Facebook or Instagram @mindoverhook) who made some lovely headbands for my nieces' children, but I'll give it a go!


That brings me to the additional mouthful which is definitely connected!

Bonus Mouthful 4

So having found a simple to follow set of instructions for crocheted scrunchies I was reminded of some presents I did last year which have led to requests for more.


I needed some small presents for our Christmas celebrations and decided to make the girls a collection of hair slides and decorations. 

Time to repeat the process ready, not just for Christmas, but as a handy stock of stuff for birthdays, impromptu gifts, party bags, etc. that can be ready to hand for little or no cost (especially as scraps of fabric and leftover yarns are never in short supply here!).

The bags were simple and quick to make (thank you online videos) so I'll do some more.



Then onto the contents - here's my stash so far.. The crocheted ones were from the tutorial I found and the fabric scrunchies were originally created from another online video.



I still want to do some hair slides - I've seen a great clip on social media where they are made from a rectangle of fabric tied into a pretty bow and then tied onto a hair elastic so that's next. And finally there'll be some hair clips prettied up with fabric and buttons like some I made before. 

I might even get adventurous and make some headbands too - I'll post them if I get that far!

And now onto Month 6.....







 

No comments:

Post a Comment