Monday 18 March 2013

Hectic - yet fun!

Monday rolls around again - yet another different kind of week with lots going on..

Last week we had Graeham's brother and his wife to stay for a day or two so we had a nice stroll by the beach, lunch out and a game of ten pin bowling. Oh yes, and the 'main event' - Gillingham (Steve's team) were playing Exeter City (our team) on the Wednesday evening. The game was a good one from where we were standing, but the result doesn't really do it justice - a goaless draw. Mind you in the interests of family unity I suppose ending up all square isn't a bad thing!

Taking of squares - I think I'm cracking this crochet thing! Here's the latest additions to the pile - it's about the only stuff I've made this week, but then I suppose it has been a bit busy. I'll pop over to Handmade Monday once I've finished this post and concentrate on being inspired by those more expert than myself rather than frustrated by my rather basic efforts....



I have had some nice surprises this week too.. Roz (my sister-in-law) brought a couple of pots of her shea butter moisturiser as presents - one for Graeham and a lovely lime one for me. You only need the tiniest bit to smooth the skin and they smell great.. She makes lots of goodies and you can see them here at her website.

Then I've got one or two samples - I think this ought to be thrifty tip number 10 - ask for samples.. Here's some of those that either came in the post or were given out in shops.. I find them ever so useful especially with all this overnighting in Wales. They take up next to no room in my bag and cost nothing.



Finally I opened my bank account to check something this morning and YouGov had paid in £50! All for filling in a few surveys.. I think that has to be tip number 11... online surveys. You have to be a bit picky - you don't want to spend almost the same as you receive in electricity bills for the computer, but by doing a few here and there you can build up some nice benefits whether that's in cash or vouchers!

Work carries on with a trip to Cardiff on Thursday and the last of the first set of notes for reading books. Last week's were great and I enjoyed these two as well. Can't wait for the next batch!
 
Having visitors shows up some of your old belongings though and we've decided that these have got to go!
 
 
Not only do they clash with most of the dining room and the crockery, but they are very faded.. But throw them away.. I don't think so. Perhaps some 'distressed' bunting or padded hearts or... well I'll show you when I think of something!
 
This weekend was football again - only this time five goals went in.. four of them for us! Then a party and a quiz, phew!!
 
Sorry about the lightening tour - but now I'm off again.. just a quick whizz over to Handmade Monday and then off to Wales until Thursday... never a dull moment eh?




6 comments:

  1. There must be lots of things you can make with those red napkins - bunting sounds like a great idea.
    The crochet is looking very good - a skill I have yet to acquire.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your crochet squares are better than I could manage!! I can see those napkins recycled as hearts with some pretty ribbon, print fabric or even hessian, for a rustic look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you're getting on well with the crocheting!
    I am a big Oliver Jeffers fan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You really should not put yourself and your efforts down. Your squares look great - really neat. What are you going to turn them into? Glad you had a nice week - hope this week is a bit quieter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, the colors you chose for the granny squares are lovely. I'm excited to see what you will make from them. Have a wonderful trip to Wales and I look forward to your next post. Take care, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhh loving the crochet - the colours are great :-) Look forward to seeing the upcycled napkins soon! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete