Sunday 6 January 2013

Happy New Year!

Well, that's another year done and dusted... and what a year!

After all that 2012 brought it was nice to draw breath on Christmas Day with a walk along the beach - once the excitement of the swim and Gordon Ramsey's filming was over!


We packed up the Christmas tree on New Year's Day and rather perversely I enjoy it almost as much as putting it up in the first place. It's that feeling of getting ready for the next excitements and looking forwards once the old year is put to bed. It's also part of my 'thrift' regime - so tip number 5 is - pack up Christmas carefully. I start with all the hanging bits and pieces which live in an old box that a pair of boots came in. This gives me the chance to check out anything broken and to make sure anything fragile is carefully cushioned. This year it was my stained glass angel that had suffered..


Happily her head fixed back on quite neatly so she went back in the box ready for next time.




Then the lametta comes off and gets stored so I don't have to buy any more, followed by the tinsel. Then the lights are wrapped round a piece of cardboard and put into a large food storage box. The tree then gets well and truly pruned so that it's neat and tidy for its trip to recycling. We don't have many otherdecorations, but these are also packed with care and it all goes into a large plastic storage box and straight into the loft safely for next year. The cards get another look and I make a note of all those we've received so I don't miss anyone next year, then we date any precious ones and file them. At this point we quite often remove cards from previous years and replace them with these more up to date ones. Then I take any apart that have good ideas or bits I can use for another card making session and cut up the rest for shoping lists!

The house still looks suitably festive thought - thanks to two lovely pointsettias that my mum gave us. Here's just one..


I've even managed to finish those socks that my sister didn't get in time for Christmas - they're in the post as I type. I still haven't sorted the issue of how much wool I need - I finished one pair in time having bought two balls of wool and then found I had enough left over for these wristwarmers and a mobile sock. 


So I decided that for the other pair I'd try just one ball, but it wasn't quite enough so the heels are a different mix! One day I'll gauge it right!


While on the subject of Christmas and saving - you might like this one (number 6). Over the years it's become a bit of a tradition. It started when I wanted to give my nieces a surprise present so bought a couple of cheap money boxes and in the weeks going up to Christmas put all my copper change into them. Then on Christmas day they could open them and play 'count the pennies'! Over the years the money boxes have become a bit smaller and the change has changed colour into silver, but I'm still doing it....

Looking back over 2012 so much has happened that I won't put you to sleep listing it all, but there's been plenty of highlights.. There were our two trips to the Olympics, my mum's 80th birthday when all the family came down to Devon for a week..

 


Work suddenly took off with new schools and new writing, craft fairs provided some helpful and encouraging comments, there was a short break in Majorca with some ex-work colleagues, I started this blog joining Handmade Monday along the way and then two days before Christmas my stepson got married.

So what's around the corner for 2013? Even more excitement I'm sure....

Firstly I've still got plenty of writing on the joblist and next week I'm back off to Wales to deliver some training in one of my new schools. Then I'm resolving to get to Handmade Monday more regularly AND earlier in the day so that I can get reading and commenting on everyone else's blogs more often. My sister has booked the same flat in Sidmouth for a week in the summer so that she and my mum and possibly my nieces and other halves can come down again. My two friends who supported me all those years ago when I was on teaching practice are coming to visit for a couple of days too - I haven't seen them for years! Then there'll be spinning and running and crafting and all those other things that we moved here to give ourselves time to enjoy. Oh yes, and this year I'm going to knuckle down and get an e-book published. I've done all the research and have the plot and introduction so all I've got to do is stop prevaricating!!

So, happy new year - hope it brings lots to enjoy for you too......



No comments:

Post a Comment