Monday 26 November 2012

Soakings, Soaps and a Submarine..

What a week it's been down here in the West Country.. not that I was around in the middle of the week, but we've still experienced some wild weather!

We drove up to Kent on Tuesday in torrential rain to stay with my other brother-in-law and his wife - and to take in the Gillingham v Exeter City game. It was so riveting that the soaking we got was bearable especially as we won... and even though Graeham's brother was undercover with the home fans and wasn't as drenched as us!

On Wednesday we went to Chatham Historic Dockyard - us, a school party and about 6 others I think! It was fascinating and we went on this submarine...


Quite a feat for me as I get very claustrophobic - I even enjoyed the experience - although I was only on board for about half an hour  with a handful of others - not quite a full tour of duty with 69 submariners for weeks/months on end.

We finally left for home with some samples of my sister-in-law's bath melts and shea butter moisturiser -




she runs a handcrafted soap and other bath product business and I'm always happy to explore her workshop and wares! You can see more at Fentons of Kent.

It was a good thing that we didn't try to come home a day earlier, apparently Exmouth was cut off - and it happened again on Saturday night!

Anyway once we got home and dried off there was another book waiting for me to work on...



I'm trying not to see it as a warning for a much worse spate of weather to come!!!!

Oh, yes and I haven't been idle with some more boxes (told you they were addictive) and bracelets ready for next Sunday's craft fair and these fingerless mitts - an attempt to diminish the stash a bit further. These just need blocking an sewing up - they should be nice and warm as they made from some more of my homespun...



Right, time for Handmade Monday to see what everyone's been up to - hope you'll forgive my lack of comments last week - will try to make up for it a bit today!

See you soon...

6 comments:

  1. I think you were brave going into the constricted place on the sub, must have been quite an insight into the workings of it tho. We havn't had such bad weather up in our corner of Scotland I really feel for those poor folks that have been flooded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those gloves look so snuggly and cosy.....could just do with a pair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds as if you have been very busy but had an enjoyable time too. Hope that the fair goes well this week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those mitts look warm. I think you maybe *are* planning for the ice and snow!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh that yarn you've used for the mitts looks gorgeous! So soft and cosy :)

    I'm glad you didn't let the weather stop you enjoying your travels! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you survived the sub experience. The mitts look very cosy, the weather is turning colder here, I will have to dig mine out.
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete