Monday 22 October 2012

It's Monday Again!


Good morning all...

Another good week ahead I hope.. Last week carried on upwards just like the previous one so all's good here..

Firstly here's that sewing I mentioned - I found some scraps of Christmas fabric left over from some project or other in the dim and distant past.  I decided to sew them onto some felt with a little bit of wadding for stuffing and 'hey presto' some decorations.  I also had a couple of sheets of felt in red and white so they too got the tree decoration treatment.  I'd forgotten how much I used to enjoy this sort of sewing.. think I'll have to invade the loft for a root around and find some more felt to play with!

 
 
 
Then on Wednesday I went to my spinning group and (at last) finished weaving the cushion pad I started ages ago to finish up all the odds and ends of spun yarn I had hanging about.  It may not look much, but it's a lot easier on the rear when sitting on a plastic chair for a while when spinning!

 
 
Then I made some more progress with those thrifty steps - Number 3 saw me pursuing my 'wear everything once' campaign.. I'm trying to go through my wardrobe unearthing stuff that hasn't seen the light of day in a while and then wearing it or disposing of it.  This week's finds were a t-shirt dress that's lost all its shape and a t-shirt that's a bit short.  I've put them to one side as I want to try making an infinity scarf or something.  Once I've done it you'll be the first to see it here...  I want to continue with the pruning and thinning of my clothes etc. I'm sure everything will last longer when it's not all crammed in, plus you never know what you might find.. I did uncover a really nice dress that's only been worn twice that might be perfect for a 'do' later this year - I might otherwise have been driven to buy something new when I don't really need it!
 
I've also been having a browse around the crafty blogs and reading my new Craftseller magazine.  Both of these featured one of my favourites - Wendy Massey - and her great ideas.  Her Handmade Harbour blog is great and a fabulous source of both her work and ideas and links to other creative people.
 
On Friday we decided to have a little trip out to Torquay.. while I was there the phone went with an offer of some work to take me through to February only to be topped on the good news front later by a permanent job offer for my niece - good day all round.
 
To finish off the week we went to a quiz last night with some friends and won for the first time..
 
Some week eh.. wonder what this one holds?????


10 comments:

  1. Hi Sue, so nice to meet you and thanks for joining in with Handmade Monday! Lovely to have you join us. What a thoroughly nice surprise to read that I'm one your favourites - how lovely of you. It was also nice to scroll back through your blog and see you were inspired by the hearts project I did in Craftseller a while back. I love your latest hearts - I like doing this sort of sewing too. Wendy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, have got your origami boxes next on my list of to-dos.. am really enjoying Handmade Mondays! Sue x

      Delete
  2. The hearts are lovely, so pretty and perfect for Christmas. Clever you spinning a cushion cover too. I'd love to learn to spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the nicest things about spinning is going to the group that I attend fortnightly - although I think it could just be a case of chatting and drinking tea (oh yes - and eating cake too!)

      Delete
  3. What a great blog - I love the ribbons in the background. Read this week's and last week's post and they are brilliant. May not have oodles of different varieties of rice, but am guilty over having lots of other stuff that gradually gets pushed to the back of the cupboard - occasionally taken out, dusted and returned with threats of it being used 'next time'. Your hearts are really lovely too. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good week!
    It's fun sometimes to just look at what we have and make something from it in a spontaneous way - love the tree decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound as if you are having a really good sort out and making use of the bits and pieces that you find. Seems to be win win to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have just come across you on Handmade Monday so thought I would pop over and say 'hello'. What a wonderful surprise I got when I found you lived in Exmouth. I live just down the road in Kingsteignton. Had a look at some of your previous posts and it was lovely to recognise the places you spoke about.

    I love your little hearts and can fully appreciate the work involved in the weaving using your spun yarn. Something I have been interested in but not yet got 'in to'. I love crochet and am enjoying a wet felting course at the moment and have just bought myself a simple embroidery book. Watch this space! Glad I came across you, I have subscribed by email to make sure I don't miss out on your future posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your hearts look lovely, I can just imagine them on a tree. I'm intrigued by your spinning, I'd love to have a go but keep putting it off. Your thrity wardrobe made me smile. I was made redundant a while ago and I've tried not to buy any clothes unless I really need them. I have things hanging in my wardrobe that I rarely wear. Hope you enjoyed joining in Handmade Monday everyone's very friendly.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete