Friday 18 February 2022

Narnia could be in there, but you'd have trouble finding it...

 Month 2 - Bite 11

I did brave the clothing stockpile and remove everything from it's hiding place and was even more surprised than I thought I'd be by how much I had!

The shoes were the first for examination. Those on the shoe racks were fine, they are all in regular use and essential - you can't wear furry boots on the tennis court and the trail running shoes don't match any evening dresses if you know what I mean?

Then I turned my attention to all those in the coat cupboard.... how could I have forgotten two pairs of boots or the shoes I used to wear to work. Now don't get me wrong, I don't have shoe shopping sprees and many of those in the cupboard are around ten years old (some older). I guess, because I have so many they never got worn out! 

Now I know that there's all sorts of clever, clear box storage systems that enable you to see instantly which shoes are where and all that, but himself came up with a simpler free method. He's coloured coded the original shoe boxes to match the shoes within so I can see at a glance what's where!




I have extracted two or three pairs of shoes from the stocks and the plan is to wear them to destruction and then select others to repeat with before I buy any others. It's amazing how much less I seem to need in all departments now I'm not out at work and fronting training sessions where eye catching colours and a variety of outfits were useful aids!

Month 2 - Bite 12

As I mentioned in the title, my wardrobe could be a good location for a hidden country! It's now far more organised after it's sort and clean, but just like the shoes bears witness to a previous lifestyle which called for differing outfits for various bookings. Having bagged, disposed of and so on I am still left with plenty of things that still need sorting. There were a few running repairs, dodgy buttons, loose hems which were quickly fixed. I did contemplate throwing away a pair of jeans that I've recently replaced because (wait for it) they were too big!!) They also were getting a bit thin in places.


I changed my mind though once I'd seen an online tutorial showing how to slimline the jeans and I'm going to have a go at decoratively fixing the thin patch too!

One of the discoveries I made when I had to work away from home and look presentable straight from a travel bag was the joy of non-ironable dresses! I still possess a few, but no longer need them for work - they don't really fit the bill for holiday travel either. They have joined the wear them to destruction shoes...  These I will wear over an over till they bite the dust as around the house, lounging about stuff. They are easy to wear and are ready as soon as they have dried from the washing machine eliminating the need to brandish the iron - a win-win in terms of time, effort and electricity.

Month 2 - Bite 13

If I enjoyed rediscovering new shoes, it was a s nothing compared to delving into the bag store! Again I've got one or two that I can use till they disintegrate and have negated my urge to buy any more for ages! I also pulled all the carrier and shopping bags out of their various nooks and crannies and decided to organise them more effectively. If I can save those 'oh heck' moments when I realise I haven't a bag with me and have to buy one while out shopping it's got to help both the environment and my purse...

One of the best things I learnt way back at the beginning of lockdown was how to fold plastic carrier bags into neat triangles held fast by one of their old handles. It's a great trick and now I've made sure there's one in my coat pocket and another in my handbag. It's easy to remember to take bags when I'm doing a planned supermarket shop - it's those other incidental times that I get caught out - well, hopefully no more!

                                          

Month 2 - Bite 14

Finally there's that spare drawer I managed to clear. My plan is to do a wear it once process. I've done this in the past with particular items of clothing - I did a big clear out of old jumpers this way and it worked a treat. It's quite simple. I wear something, launder it and then fold it down into this drawer. I'm then not allowed to go back to it till I've worn everything else in that line. It means that I have to make serious decisions - if I am faced with something because it's the last suitable item and I really don't want to wear it, then it needs to go. It also makes me try everything and decide on its fate. Okay so the 'occasion' dresses that I may not have a call for on a while can be exempt, but again, how many do I need? Also it's time to face that 'only for best' mindset that leaves certain clothes unworn because they are being saved and to ask 'saved for what'?

 

Once I get to an almost empty wardrobe/drawer situation I can repeat the process putting everything back knowing it's all been tried and cleaned and is suitable for keeping!

Month 2 - Bite 15

Back to the paperwork... I did gather together all those expenses that only crop up on a regular, but less frequent occasion. Some I can do little about - the TV License for example or Council Tax. Others are going to need some investigation. Time to go through the diary/calendar and mark up a date two or three weeks before any renewals. This should flag up the need to check comparison websites and negotiate new annual contracts with plenty of time to spare, rather than arrive at the Car Insurance renewal reminder and find that time doesn't allow for a thorough investigation of the best possible deal.

Finally, a spring time lift.
It'll be St. David's Day soon so something for Mum is always welcome. Yes, Welsh Cakes and Daffodils will be in evidence, but this year I've made some daffodil coasters too! And in the best spirit of thrift, while the daffodil fabric is new, the backing came from some old serviettes that were the wrong colour for our dining room!!






No comments:

Post a Comment