Monday 6 May 2013

A Satisfying Week All Round..

What a nice seven days that was! You know what it's like when all of a sudden a series of things go well or slot into place, and although it's nothing super-sensational you get that feeling of calm satisfaction.. well that was last week.

I started off by raiding my craft boxes in the loft for some bits and pieces for our local club's charity do. The club/gym had been suffering on a number of fronts - financial, organisation and so on when one of the members took the bull by the horns and worked hard to get it back on its feet along with constant support from his wife. Sadly in the autumn he was told that his cancer was back and this time terminally so. He died a few weeks ago and so one of the committee organised the auction in aid of the hospice that supported him and his family at the end. I didn't have anything big to auction or raffle, but she did say that she could have some items for sale - hence this selection. I haven't heard how it went yet, but hopefully we've all raised a bit to contribute to the invaluable work such places do.

 
 
I then took a day off for my birthday! It started with the usual Tuesday morning run that my friend, Karen and I try to fit in each week. It was glorious as we ran across the golf course, along the cliffs and past the beach with sunshine and great views all the way. Then Graeham made a special lemon curd cake to accompany the card opening and we wandered down into town for a leisurely lunch in one bar followed by coffee overlooking the beach. It doesn't matter how long we live here, it's still a novelty being able to walk on the beach any day we like! Then we went racing at Exeter Racecourse and I even managed to pick winning horses in four of the six races - Howzat! Now I've got the fun of deciding how to spend the pressies from my family. Good fun all round.
 
 
Now about that finishing off, well, I did eventually manage to get the sewing machine out so I got this kit done..
 
 
and this bag...

 

 
and this other kit for a card wallet that was lurking in the pile. Not all of them showcasing the most skilled of stitching, but I enjoyed myself.

 
 
I found a couple of felt hearts that I had started needle felting so finished them off into a brooch as well.
 
 
Wednesday was spinning and our little group is getting a group exhibit ready for showing in the autumn. We're making teddies from some merino. I even managed to get about half of mine spun up - it was a nice break from the alpaca which is proving a bit of a nightmare with carding as much of it is very short and so fiddly to spin. Anyway this merino was a dream, so hopefully I'll get the rest of it done this week and get started on my teddy.... Watch this space!
 

 
I did some of the other stuff I showed you last week... The green bag now looks a bit different as I got just so far and realised that I'd made it too wide and the proportions wouldn't work. So I undid it all and started again giving it integral handles so that I don't run out of yarn before the end.
 
But I did get going on some of the other yarn from the stash.. here's the thin scarf I'm making from some silk that I had spun a while ago and plied with cotton. I haven't got much of it, hense the 'skinny' nature of the scarf, but it's lovely and soft - and growing quickly too....

 
But what about work, with all these days off and finally getting to grips with making things? Well, having caught up with all the proof reading and teachers' notes that I was doing as emergencies I was about to settle down to writing the notes for books that have been waiting for ages. Then the phone rang. A while ago there was a task that I was supposed to be completing, but it didn't eventually come my way in its entirety for a number of reasons. Now, it would seem, those who wanted to do the job have found out that they don't have the time to do it - so I've got it back. So that seems to have ended the week on a high too!
 
I wonder what this week will bring?????? Enough of me now - I'm off to Handmade Monday to see what everyone else has been up to......
 
 

5 comments:

  1. I've got all three of those kits! I really must get them out and do them myself. Sounds like you've had a busy week - and belated happy birthday ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the colours in your skinny scarf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what an amazing week. I really like the bag material you have used. lets hope this week is as good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a fabulous week! And a belated Happy Birthday to you too. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gosh you have had a busy week. The bird kit is cute.

    ReplyDelete