Tuesday 6 September 2022

Meltdown

 Just what I didn't want.. a
meltdown - in the freezer.. aarrgghh!

Month 9 - Bite 2

decorating at the moment which involved himself switching off the electricity in order to remove light fittings for easier ceiling painting. The only problem was missing flicking a switch to turn it all back on again. Only one switch. But sadly the one controlling the power to the freezer. That, coupled with the fact that we were out all the next day means that we've come home to  a soggy floor and a dripping freezer.

Still, it does mean a complete clear out and taking stock of what was in there.

Some stuff can't be saved, some can be eaten immediately and the rest needs cooking. That's not been a bad thing as I've managed to cook up a number of meals that can now be safely refrozen and used for quick meals later. I've also double checked what else we had that could be batch cooked and frozen to save time and money. After all, if I've got the cooker and hob going I might just as well make the most of the energy use. That and the freezer is now fairly full so must be running more efficiently.

All that and I won't have to defrost it again for a while - well, you've got to look for the positives haven't you?!


Month 9 - Bite 3

During the freezer incident it struck me that there were other things that needed gathering ready to freeze, so I've done those too.

The runner beans are cropping well and we can't eat them all. So it's prepping and freezing for them.



Then there's the herbs - the giant parsley has truly taken over.. and the oregano and basil have done well...

 



There's plenty left even though I've picked and frozen lots too.



     

No comments:

Post a Comment