Friday 6 November 2020

The Best Laid Plans....

 

It was all going so well with my plans for the blog when I managed to sabotage my own efforts. Yes reader, I put myself out of commission with a momentary lapse of concentration.. I shut my thumb in the car door! It's only a little car, it's only one digit, but wow what an effect! I never really acknowledged quite what an impact such a simple injury would have. The making had to stop and I couldn't even write for a while, still enough! I won't bore you with a photo of the offending thumb - it's made quite enough people turn seedy looking when I've shown them - so onwards and upwards...

One thing I could do while incapacitated was search out what I already had. I've shown you my stash of mini presents in a previous post and some of the kits I found awaiting completion. This time I raided my craft stock to find what was lurking, in particular in the yarn and fabric line. These are some of my treasures:




We've also been switching the contents of the kitchen cupboards around after finding the one nearest the oven wasn't a good idea for some of the tins in there (don't ask about the curdled rice pudding or the rancid anchovies - just don't). One or two spice packs were a bit out of date - no good for eating, but possibly for a pot pourri? Well I've put them in my Christmas storage box (I think I may need a second or a bigger box).

What have you got lurking around that you could utilise?

The process made me think about the type of presents that have been most memorable over the years. We all know the stories of small children who happily unpack their presents and then spend ages playing with the boxes. In fact, my great-nephew enjoys unwrapping so much that one year he re-wrapped all his presents so that he could open them all over again!

The presents I remember more than any others come from when I was little. One birthday I came down to find, not only a copy of Cliff Richard's L.P. 'Summer Holiday' (okay age showing), but also some bunk beds for my dolls. Dad had made the bunk beds, mum had sewn sheets from an old pillowcase and my Nan had crocheted bedcovers. It stands out, even now almost 60 years later, as one of the best presents I've ever had.

So with the yarn there are doll's blankets to be made ready for the Italian littlies who spend hours dressing, undressing and putting their 'babies' to bed along with some new outfits. (If you want to try these and haven't knitted or crocheted before I can recommend the internet for great 'how to do it' videos - blankets in particular are ideal starters as they can be really simple and quick to produce.)


And the fabric stash has already begun to yield items - bags for all of the children to collect their Christmas stashes! These are just rectangles of fabric stitched together on three sides. The tops are turned over and stitched to give a neat edge. For the handles fold strips of fabric in half lengthways and press. Open these out and fold them back towards the centre fold and press again before stitching along the open side (this will give you a nice, neat edge). Then finally sew them, evenly spaced to the top of your bag. (I always stitch an 'x' shape over the join for strength.)



That's probably enough from me for now. I want to talk about memorable experiences too and how to parcel them up as presents, but perhaps next time?

Stay safe.....


No comments:

Post a Comment