Monday 29 July 2013

School's Out!!

Okay, I know I said normal service was resumed, but I was away again last week so the post sort of fell by the wayside....

Still, now it's the end of term I can catch up (a bit)...

It's been nice to have some 'kick-back' time and just watch the grass grow - well I would do, but up until a day or two ago it wasn't. Everything around here had gone a sort of straw yellow with the sun, but recent showers have definitely perked things up. Here's the (rather grainy) view from our garden/sun room before the rain.

 
 
A lovely view (when you block out our neighbours' bungalows by squeezing your eyes - and ignore the telegraph pole) to drift away while having a coffee and pretending to read!
 
The sun has also worked its magic on the pots and plants around the garden. When I was young dad would fill the house in the autumn with all the geraniums he was saving. They all lived on the landing on top of the tallboy and reeked of that rather distinctive geranium smell which I hated. Funny isn't it, that now I can't imagine our garden here without them!


 
 
 
Just yesterday Graeham called for me to come quickly as he'd spotted a little visitor in the garden... We regularly have cats and foxes, we've also had a frog on the front door (actually sitting on a projecting piece so that when you open and shut the door he looked up rather enjoying the ride!) and a pheasant strutting along the road outside the bungalow, but never a bunny! This one was very small and looked rather lost - hopefully it made it to a place of safety.....
 

So what else have I been up to other than relaxing and gazing out of the window? Well, I was up in Kent working at my old school for the end of term. It coincided with Mum's birthday so I stayed at my sister's place and we went our and enjoyed a meal at the local tapas bar. And Juds also gave me the mirror that I made last time I was there. We both played for a while sticking our shells on - mine's the one on the left. I just need to varnish it, then.. not sure what to do with it, or where to hang it!

 
 
Other than that I've tried to get myself into finishing a couple of blankets that I started - as you can see this one hasn't got that far! Mind you, it's a lot further than the baby blanket I have started, frogged, restarted, frogged... and so on about four times... Now I've stopped knitting it and started crocheting instead.
 
 
 
Oh yes, I got to spinning too.... I'm having to tear myself away from the lovely Shetland fleece that I'm spinning and try to discipline myself into concentrating on the alpaca that still sits there looking accusingly at me - perhaps next week when I go to the spinning group I'll get the drum carder out and attack it full on to speed things up!
 
And I've read, and played tennis and eaten cake.. all that and the holiday's only just started!
 
Right, action - I have got teachers' notes to write on Carrie's War, still I reeeaaallly need to just pop over to Handmade Monday to see what everyone else has been up to. Task avoidance I hear you say, hmmm now if that was an Olympic sport I could truly be a champion!
 

 


7 comments:

  1. I smiled when I read your comment about geraniums. They have their own distinct smell which I have to say I don't like either. The mirror and crochet look great and I'm always impressed when you talk about your spinning. It sounds so amazing.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love spinning! It's so relaxing - if you ever get a chance to try it - do.. x

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've been very busy, and most crafters seem to have a 'butterfly brain' (which is a great way to explain it) and flit between things. Your crochet squares are really sweet. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the colors in your crochet blanket. It looks like a fun pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am exactly the same as you when it comes to geraniums! Used to hate the smell but now quite like it. Glad to hear that you are having a lovely holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the start to your blanket, I have an idea for something similar in my head - trying to keep it there as I have far too many things on the go already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand your frustration taking apart your work. It's happened to me twice now with my crochet projects. Your granny squares are so lovely and colorful. I'm excited to see the finished blanket. Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete